In 1954 Mr.Pisit and Mrs. Nongnooch Tansacha bought 1500 rais (approximately 600 acres) of rolling hills and valleys at kilometer marker 163 on Sukhumvit road in Chonburi province. The newly purchased land was anticipated to become a fruit plantation. But as fate may have it, Mrs. Nongnooch during a trip abroad, was inspired by the beauties of many world-renowned gardens and decided to turn it into a tropical garden of ornamental flowers and plants.
Opened to the public in 1980 , the garden was named “ Suan Nong Nooch ” in honor of Mrs. Nongnooch, as the word “Suan” means garden. In addition to continuing on her life's work of the garden, Mrs. Noongnooch spends her time between Bangkok and the orchard in Chieng-rai as well as Nong Nooch camping resort in Prachinburi province, which made its debut in 2001. In order to maintain the gardens, management was than handed over to her son, Mr. Kampon Tansacha.
From such humble beginnings, now more than 2,000 visitors, VIP guests, schools, local residents of Thailand, expatriate's and tourists from around the world visit Nong Nooch Garden daily!